Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Needed: Science Officer Skill
Question 
I need information on how the science officer skill is used and what the formula or logic behind some of the calculations are.

For example, how is this skill used to determine what information is revealed to the player when analyzing a sensor scan... ???
(01-09-2019, 08:35 PM)Marvin Herbold Wrote: I need information on how the science officer skill is used and what the formula or logic behind some of the calculations are.

For example, how is this skill used to determine what information is revealed to the player when analyzing a sensor scan... ???
From what I understand the science officer affects both sensors and analysis, and also the frequency? accuracy? of alien ship movement detection?

I can't think of a good way to measure alien ship movement detection, but have you considered alternative implementation such as the the star control 2 method of hyperspace/solar system encounters?  Probabilistic spawning of groups of ships within a radius that show up as "objects chasing you" as opposed to a preconfigured number of invisible fleets which will travel short distances to find you?

I probably will have time this weekend to test this. What do you think about this idea?

50 science skill: screenshots of scanning 5 alien ships (Hopefully 5 different ships within one encounter), analyzing 5 alien ships, scanning 5 planets, analyzing 5 planets
100 science skill: "
150 "
200 "
250 "

That's 100 screenshots, but I could probably skip a bunch of them if certain patterns start emerging, the same number of "uncertain" statements recur, etc.

What do you think?
That sounds like a good scientific approach to figuring out how the skill level of the science officer affects the various readouts!
Oh and as far as the radar goes - you gave me an idea. I think I will make it so that a science officer with a high skill level can detect aliens much further out than one with a low skill level.
By the way, I love your implemention for hyperspace encounters.  I didn't realize you had completed it already.

Attached are the screenshots and raw data. I scanned planets one, three, four, and five in Arth, did system re-entries a number of times, and scanned mechans at their home world -- fastest way I could think of to make the safe encounters. For the fun of it, with a 200 skill science officer I jumped in the 135,84 flux to see if Uhlek warships "being more advanced" would be more difficult to scan, and with a few quick scans before I got destroyed it does not seem to be any difference.

atmosphere/hydrosphere/lithosphere seemed 100% accurate at any science skill, so I stopped measuring it and only screenshoted the analysis.

Likewise "object: planet" "orbit number" and "object: vessel" "X times the size of our ship" seemed to always be accurate. You can look at the screenshots to determine if any particular attribute is easier or harder to determine,  I am going to assume that they are all random and give you totals: (successfully analyzed attributes/total attributes)

50 science skill/stellar state: 0, 0, 0, 0, 0
50 science skill/planet: 2/5, 2/5,  3/5, 0/5, 2/5, 2/5, 1/5, 2/5
50 science skill/ship:  0/3, 0/3, 0/3,  1/3, 0/3

100 science skill/stellar state:  0/1, 0/1, 0/1, 0/1, 1/1, 0/1, 0/1
100 science skill/planet:  3/5, 3/5, 2/5,  3/5
100 science skill/ship:  2/3, 1/3, 3/3, 3/3, 3/3, 0/3, 2/3, 1/3

150 science skill/stellar state:  1/1, 1/1, 0/1, 1/1, 1/1, 1/1
150 science skill/planet:  4/5, 4/5, 5/5, 1/5
150 science skill/ship: 2/3, 2/3, 2/3, 2/3, 2/3

200 science skill/stellar state: 1/1, 1/1, 1/1, 1/1, 1/1
200 science skill/planet: 5/5, 5/5, 5/5, 5/5
200 science skill/ship: 3/3, 3/3, 3/3, 3/3, 3/3, 3/3, 3/3, 3/3, 3/3

Very interesting results.
Forgot the screenshots...

Attached Files
.zip   Science Officer Skill.zip (Size: 166.44 KB / Downloads: 0)
This is great - you really helped a lot!
The sensor reading is not at all affected by the science level. However the analysis.
The logic whether the scientist is certain is depicted in the function "?.CERTAIN" found here

https://github.com/s-macke/starflight-re...-OV.c#L559

For every part of the analysis the algorithm determines a random number (but with planet specific seed) between 0-200 and compares it with the science level. If the science level is above the random number the scan succeeds.
(02-02-2019, 12:11 PM)Sebastian Macke Wrote: For every part of the analysis the algorithm determines a random number (but with planet specific seed) between 0-200 and compares it with the science level. If the science level is above the random number the scan succeeds.

This is great information and very helpful!  Thank you!