Rigel, "Why?!"
Cairne, "He was an asshole."
Rigel, "That's not illegal!"
Cairne, "It's not?"
Rigel, "No!"
Cairne, "I hate this damn planet. By the way, we may wanna leave."
Rigel, "Why?"
Cairne, "I winged his brother in the bathroom too."
Thanks mate. As I still haven't had any luck finding Genesis or even the PC SF1 lifeform stats or pictures. All I have is my old handdrawn list from my childhood lol. I know I saw a full Genesis creature list with locations and stats etc on the net 5 or so years ago. Such a shame I can't find it now.

Zharous/Steve of starflt.com may have just helped a little bit. Does anyone know how similar the surface creatures in SF2 were to SF1 on PC? Presumably there were more but some hopefully carried over? If so he does have a full creature stats page for SF2:
http://www.starflt.com/.../index.php/starflight2/lifeforms/

He's also shown me that on page 28-32 of the SF2 manual there are full blown pictures of all the creatures!!
http://www.starflt.com/SF2Manual.pdf

If we do use Genesis creatures as a source then it would help Marvin to see how they animate. I think they're pretty simple though, just 2-3 frames probably.

Sadly I'm not seeing any carry over or similar names between the Genesis SF1 list you posted & Steve's PC SF2 though.. that's a shame. But the PC starflight 1 was different (it had plants and stuff) so I wonder if there's still similarities between those 2 games. If there are then those lifeform pictures from the SF2 manual could be very useful.

[Image: BGx3xEC.gif]
Blake's Sanctum - Starflight Series
:
fan page containing pics, vids, info, walkthroughs, & fan games!
IIRC, SF1 creatures on PC were generated procedurally; there was no set list of lifeforms, and they certainly weren't given individual names. I'll have to check through my files again; I know that there were given verbal attributes and intended behaviors to go along with them - stuff like "Aggression: Wolf" and so forth. The creature creation procedure I came up for SFRPG was loosely based on that system.

"Bitchin'" was one of the attributes IIRC.

I also seem to recall that each creature had a "mate", which in this case means that it was simply paired up with another creature for purposes of determining its behaviors. For example, an herbivore matched up with a producer; if the producer was sessile, it would sit there and do nothing, while the herbivore would likely go and eat its "mate". Things like that. I don't know if those behaviors actually made it into the game or not but I know that was Binary Systems' original intent.
Thanks for your input Steve, procedural certainly makes things a lot harder! Marvin sent me a ginourmous list of all the different little pieces used by the creature generator showing that there are millions of possible outcomes.. eek! And yes Bitchin was one of them haha! Good news is Sebastian who's doing the awesome Starflight Reverse Engineering Project on Github has successfully extracted the creature creator code though which is very cool!

Sebastian Macke Wrote:The lifeform generation can be found at
https://github.com/s-macke/starflight-re.../SEED-OV.c
and
https://github.com/s-macke/starflight-re...ys/LP-OV.c

Now, that I have finished the sensor reading I can try to list all creatures and stats for each planet.

Also I was chatting with Marvin and he sent me these pictures showing how no matter what sort of crazy creature is generated they all still come under a locked set number of creature groups each with their own little picture. So perhaps these better match with the SF2 manual pictures giving Marv a decent source to create a limited number of simply low poly creature models and then their stats and descriptions can still be proceduraly generated like in the original game.

:
Deus who was lead dev on the Starflight 3 fan project for a number of years posted some helpful info on the discord regarding SF1 creatures after seeing this thread. Figured I'd stick a copy here as things on discord tend to get buried.

Deus Wrote:Regarding Heroes of Arth and The Remaking of a Legend using the creatures from the Sega Genesis version of Starflight (as I just saw was being discussed over at: https://bravearmy.com/community/thread-23-post-89.html)... CrescentNebula collected and posted the data for all of these, in a time long forgotten: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/interste...html#p5015 His survey data has each creature's size, durability, movement and behavior pattern. (Likely all the distinguishing features of planetary creatures in that version of starflight.) Some of the table formatting of his post was lost unfortunately, though I can send you a reformatted version.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=31]

Here's all the creature stats and info from CrescentNebula's original post:
CrescentNebula Wrote:| Volume | Value each | Value per | Stun hits/ | Movement | Species | (CU) | (MU/Alien) | CU (MU/CU) | kill hits | Type | Location
------------+--------+------------+------------+------------+----------------+--------------------
Aerodactyle | 20.0 | 500 | 25.0 | 8/10 | Aggressive | Air
Amorphlux | 0.5 | 500 | 1000.0 | 9/11 | Passive | All surfaces
Aspect | 1.0 | 50 | 50.0 | 4/ 6 | Aggressive | Land
Biwing | 2.0 | 750 | 375.0 | 5/ 7 | Timid | Air
Bristlebarb | 8.0 | 50 | 6.3 | 4/ 6 | Group/Timid | Land
Crawleye | 10.0 | 500 | 50.0 | 2/ 4 | Group/Passive | Land / near shore
Draggin | 6.0 | 5 | 0.8 | 4/ 6 | Passive | Land
Gigantick | 5.0 | 10 | 2.0 | 7/ 9 | Timid | Land
*Magmatoid | ? | ? | ? | ? | ? | ?
Megapede | 0.1 | 1 | 10.0 | 4/ 6 | Timid | Land
Nautiloid | 5.0 | 500 | 100.0 | 7/ 9 | Timid | Water
Octapede | 0.5 | 5 | 10.0 | 2/ 4 | Passive |
Land Orbula | 10.0 | 10 | 1.0 | 11/13 | Passive | All surfaces
Slugyte | 6.0 | 50 | 8.3 | 1/ 3 | Passive | All surfaces
Spinstir | 1.0 | 25 | 25.0 | 7/ 9 | Passive | All surfaces
Termode | 1.0 | 25 | 25.0 | 3/ 5 | Passive | Land
Turblade | 12.0 | 60 | 5.0 | 5/ 7 | Passive | All surfaces
Wingwraith | 2.5 | 1500 | 600.0 | 9/11 | Aggressive | Air
Wormonger | 0.1 | 1.0 | 10.0 | 4/ 6 | Aggressive | Water
Zeeb | 0.5 | 500 | 1000.0 | 2/ 4 | Passive | Air over land

Movement AI
-----------
Group (crawleye)- initially, members of this species are found in groups of 1 to 8
Group (bristlebarb)- initially, members of this species are found in groups of exactly 5
Aggressive (land) - follows vehicle, very slow, almost always faces diagonally (except when traveling in a perfectly vertical or horizontal direction)
Aggressive (air) - follows vehicle, swoops at vehicle once close, almost always faces diagonally
Passive - meanders randomly
Passive (zeeb) - meanders randomly, only lands on sand-storm planets (when forced to), one stun shot keeps it from taking off again fully, two stuns it
Passive (crawleye) - meanders randomly while shooting directly at vehicle with varying-speed projectiles
Timid - always moves away from vehicle once close enough
Timid (bristlebarb) - moves away from vehicle, never travels exactly horizontally, disappears/reappears at random until T.V. is close enough

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

: