We Want… a Shrubbery!

Over the past few days, I’ve been working on getting trees and shrubbery in.  After consulting with the knights who say “Ni!” about shrubbery, I was able to wring some halfway decent looking plants and trees using Unity’s built-in tree editor.  Their tree editor is nowhere near as nice as SpeedTree, which is what I am used to working with during my video game programming days, but for the purposes of this game, I think it works OK.

I’ve created 5 different tree types and 2 different shrubbery types.  In the original game, they were called “producers” which I guess meant they produced fruit or something.

I took a video of the terrain vehicle exploring the liquid planet at 123,101 around the lower elevations.  The vegetation favors the lower elevations – they become less common the higher up you go.

Next, I think I will need to work on the mining system (terrain vehicle cargo hold).  I think that is one of the last major bits before the game will become truly playable, as far as gathering elements and selling them at Starport to get money to upgrade your ship.

By |2019-02-09T19:20:04+00:00February 9th, 2019|Starflight|6 Comments

6 Comments

1. Joseph (atmoman) February 19, 2019 at 9:13 am - Reply

Great work on the vegetation. Do you need more? If so, I can help. Been creating trees, flowers, etc. in some environments myself. Let me know.

• Marvin Herbold February 19, 2019 at 5:37 pm - Reply

Hello! Are you able to create the vegetation within Unity (native Unity trees)? If so, great! Yes, I can always use some more. Especially the alien looking stuff.

2. Joseph ( atmoman ) February 19, 2019 at 7:58 pm - Reply

Yes, I use the builtin tree maker of unity. I have a sample HTML5 Video on my website ( http://www.jfdhobbies.com/MountainBayIsland/index.html ) if you want to take a look. I will come up with some alien looking plants.

I need to know the height of these plants.. Usually I use the default size (x,y,z) as 1,1,1.

Also, how do I get these plants to you?

• Marvin Herbold February 20, 2019 at 6:15 am - Reply

Hmm – the link doesn’t work (the video just sits loading forever). After you create the trees you can go to Assets > Export Package… and select the tree objects and all of their dependencies (materials and texture maps) and it’ll create a file you can send to me and I can import it directly into the game. I will do the same right now and send you the trees and shrubbery I have so you can scale yours to match.

• Marvin Herbold February 20, 2019 at 6:37 am - Reply

Heya – I got the video to work finally after a few tries. I’ve exported my trees (and also the rocks and terrain vehicle for scaling) and put it up for download at https://bravearmy.com/starflight-files/misc/CurrentStarflightVegetationAndStuff.unitypackage

• Marvin Herbold February 20, 2019 at 6:46 am - Reply

Also one additional piece of information you’ll need – the maximum height of the new trees should be around as tall as the existing trees. Any taller and they could poke through the player’s ship floating above the terrain. There are 4 different planetary types that can have trees – (1) Molten, (2) Frozen, (3) Liquid (Earth-like), and (4) Rocky. Having a different set of trees for each one would be awesome. For example, frozen would have icy or snow covered trees. Molten would have I guess spiky or trees that look like they can withstand heat. Each planetary type should have a minimum of 2 big trees, 2 medium trees, and 2 shrubberies, but more is better for variation.